Let me guess, you didn’t like Webmail much and now you’re trying to get G Suite for email. But somewhere along the lines, you’re struggling to import email to your new G Suite account? Are you afraid you might have to start from scratch if there’s no way? Well, there’s a big NO. You don’t have to because there are multiple ways to do it. Just keep reading.
1. Email G Suite Migration
1. Go to dashboard and click on ‘data migration.’
2. Setup data migration for email G Suite migration.
3. Fill everything and start migrating into G Suite.
2. Use the Gmail Import Function
For this tool to work, your Google Workspace admin needs to turn on ‘User email uploads’ for Gmail users. Here’s how:
1. As an admin, access Google Workspace Admin Console. Navigate to Apps > Google Workspace > Gmail > Setup.
2. Find the ‘User email uploads’ section and tick the box next to ‘Show users the option to import mail and contacts from Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL or other webmail or POP3 accounts from the Gmail settings.
3. Now open your Gmail or G Suite for email and click on settings. Right there, you’ll see ‘accounts and import.’ Click on ‘mail and contacts’ to add previous data.
4. Sign into the other email account so that it can sync up perfectly. Click on ‘Continue.’
After this a pop-up will appear where you have to sign in using your Google account. Once that’s done, it will automatically start importing your emails.
3. Transfer Emails from Folders
You will have to copy emails from folders that are within your old email account and move them to your Google Workspace account manually – although it’s an inconvenient task, it’s the only option. Here’s a step-by step guide that can help you understand the whole process:
Add both email accounts into a computer-based email client like MacMail or Thunderbird. Note: In certain versions of Outlook, creating two accounts using the same email address is not allowed. In that case, you may need to directly export emails from your folders and then import them into your Gmail folders.
1. Set up both email accounts in your preferred mail client. Ensure that your Google Workspace account is customized for IMAP.
2. Log into your Google Workspace webmail (Gmail) and mirror the structure of your old email account by making labels for each of its folders. Activate IMAP in your Gmail settings under the ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.’
3. Open your mail client again. The labels you just made should now appear as folders under your Google Workspace inbox.
4. Copy emails from your old mailbox’s folders to the corresponding folders in your Google Workspace mailbox.
Common Problems After Migration
While a migration from cPanel to G Suite is usually simple, sometimes users encounter issues. Let’s see what the common issues are and how they can be solved.
Data Security: Google has strong data protection policies. Just in case you’re not comfortable with their idea of storing private information on Google servers, then this might turn you off a bit. As far as I know, some people don’t like the way Google stores its data.
Cost Implication: G Suite is a subscription service and it comes with different pricing tiers. It’s not very common to understand the best plan to fulfil one’s needs. In some organizations, cost limits exceed the expectations, and the users have to spend more than required, which results in overspending.
Data Migration: Exporting all existing emails, contacts, and calendar events from the old system to Gmail is not that easy. This process should be carried out with utmost precision to avoid any unfortunate incident. If not done correctly, it might lead to loss of data or partial data. Make sure you read our methods carefully.
Syncing Issue: When you’re using Outlook as your third-party email client, syncing issues could surprise you. Neither emails won’t show up immediately, nor will calendar events sync properly.
The Bottom Line
Replacing Webmail with GSuite for email doesn’t mean leaving everything behind. In fact, it’s the best decision you can ever make regarding email marketing. At last I’d say it’s all about doing it the right way. And then, everything becomes easy.